Tuesday 14 January 2014

Saturday's Ringing Session 11/01/14 a.m.

First ringing session of the year, first in about 7 months for me thanks to working many weekends BUT now I am mostly free at the weekends my training can hopefully make some real progress. I recently worked out I've been dabbling in ringing for at least 6 years, bits here and there in some very beautiful places but just not regularly enough to be in with a chance of gaining my "C" permit.

Anyway, after a very chilly 40 mile ride on the motorbike to my trainer's house, I arrived for 8 as planned and a few birds were already netted, always a good sign. I was a bit rusty to begin with and the memory needed a big boost in remembering moults and ages (tea, cake & a roaring fire do help the old grey matter thaw out however!) but I soon got back into it and a great session all in all. I ringed 50 birds in total, 10 species including Blackbird, Long-tailed Tit, Greenfinch, Blue Tit, Dunnock, Goldfinch, Lesser Redpoll, Siskin, Robin and Bullfinch; a fantastic selection. We also caught 3 retrap birds, one of which was a control Goldfinch which was a bonus!

A few pics from the session:

Adult Male Lesser Redpoll
Female Bullfinch
Siskin
I'll be using this blog as a bit of a visual diary for me to personally keep track of ringing sessions but hopefully others will benefit from reading it too :)

No comments:

Post a Comment